Contemplations of a Tainted Mind

5.06.2008

I'm back at the Hill.

So, it's been awhile since I've posted. Been busy. Catching up with stuff, getting back to work, etc etc. I'm here, at work, back at International CS. There's even less work now than there was before I left. So, I've got another one of those silly little dilemnas I get into.. this one, I suspect, is a small bit unique and doesn't really have much long-ranging impact necessarily nor obviously.

There is a full-time position open here, for a regular Domestic HEP Customer Service. My supervisor suggested I apply for it, as it would get me into the actual company. Now, I would rather work here in International, but HR won't hire on any additional people for this department. So I'm this weird sort of non-proto-employee for us.

So, this is how it goes. I currently work as a temporary for International. I can apply for a position in Domestic HEP. If I get it, I might eventually be able to transfer back over to International, rejoining the group for a third time. If I don't get that job, I will remain a temp in International. Now, say I do get it, but can't transfer. Then there's this issue that I may get extremely frustrated working in Domestic HEP. It's very boring, very simple, and fairly busy. International is essentially the opposite. There are many interesting personalities to deal with, there are multiple layers of complexity beyond regular orders, and it's fairly slow. If I, say, get the job in Domestic HEP, I may well end up trapped there. The unfortunate part, is that if I don't get it, I also may end up here as a temp for the foreseeable future. I'm not particularly sure what to do at this point.. any advice is wholly welcome.

More later, I'm sure.