Contemplations of a Tainted Mind

8.26.2008

Random Journalish Entry

So.. I've been reading rather a lot about rather a lot of things, and I'm starting to notice a couple of topics where I find myself prodding at them incidentally. Primarily.. Philosophy, Technology, CogSci and Education. Now, when I say Philosophy, I really mean to different fields. First is Ethics which I enjoy contemplating and the Second of a more generic range of fields that are fun to catch glimpses of now and then. I also enjoy where most of the fields intersect.. the Philosophy of Education, the Education of Philosophy, the Neuroscience of Learning, the Philosophy of Consciousness, the Ethics of Technology, the Technology of Neuroscience.. basically all sorts of weird crossbreed mutations between the fields. Why am I mentioning this? I don't know. Thought someone'd appreciate knowing that.

I guess, on some level, I like studying these fields for the same reason I have a very, very passing interest in Anthropology, Archaeology, Sociology et al. Because the more I learn in these fields, the more I can make an argument from various angles. I've noticed that it's very much breaking the paradigm, when you argue multiple.. zones of influence. I don't know the terminology of what I'm talking about, I just know that I do it and that it aggravates people that can't keep up. I'll argue, say, the rationality of something and as a riposte to their followup, argue the evolutionary standpoint of something. I'll bounce between fields and paradigms and systems of thought. I mean, it makes sense to me because you can't argue a point without taking in the entire surrounding framework, and since, truthfully, humans are my most common stepping point, I feel you need to take in as much of the framework as possible. This framework includes all of the work from evolutionary psychology to modern memetics and sociology.. neuroscience to anthropology.. and you can't really play with these fields individually, because eventually you'll miss a point that can't be contained on one area but is perfectly explained in another. So, there's that.

I am still interested in Aelora, by the by.. since I'm sure it seems like I've dropped it off the wayside like so many other projects. Well, I -have- but it isn't forgotten. I suspect I'll pick up on it again when I've got more motivation and fewer other things going on.

This seems like more of a journal update than anything.. but I'm OK with that. I can't say I have terribly much by way of profound thoughts right now.. I've been poking at my 'perfect' government, which amuses me but it entirely unreal as it would require the breaking of two of our culture's strongest mores.. and I don't see that happening any time soon.

Anywho, that's all for now.