Contemplations of a Tainted Mind

8.12.2008

Meandering Thoughts

It's hard to believe it's been an entire month since the last time I've updated. My grasp on time is faulty, at best, it seems.. and it's been rather grossly expounded upon the past couple weeks. Once I realized that 3 months had slid past, luckily, life slowed down momentarily. Reality has such a kind way of dragging you more slowly when you start yelling at it for going to fast.

I recently read a fascinating, 9-page writeup on ENTPs.. and it made me realize something. When it comes to MBTI, people assume far more similarities between the types than truly exist. A type is a pacakge, just because they have a function in the same spot as another type, it doesn't mean they're that similar in other respects. A type is the coherent synthesis of all 8 types in order of preference.. so if you muss with 4 of those functions, you're suddenly 50% different.

-- totally lost train of thought here --

So, an interesting thing that amuses me are two metaphors I've found myself using frequently. One is the Shotgun Metaphor. Because, well, it works. So, Dani and Mike are INTJ's. This is basically just like me, only all kinds of turned about. See, at every step where I'm ogling the world, they're staring at their pancreas. Where I'm poking around the mushiness of my brain, they're humping fenceposts. (As a side note, I don't think there's any sort of plural form of Pancreas. Weird.) Anywho, the point here is that where all of my lovely INxx friends use, effectually, sniper rifles, I prefer to use a Shotgun. Where they want one target, I want as many targets as I can conceivably get in one shot. The downside to this is that I tend to intake a lot of crap. The upside is that I tend to get things they miss. You get more good with the bad when you're trying to get everything.

I find this metaphor interesting because it very accurately describes how I approach numerous things compared to all 4 of my closest friends. They all tend towards more specificity in what they do. I tend towards more generality.

The other metaphor is that of Atlas. I don't know why, but that's kind of what my whole life feels like right now. Instead of the world, though, it's like I'm trying to lift an intricate network of threads of varying sizes. Each thread being some important aspect to my life.. and I feel like I'm trying to lift this whole network of them simultaneously, because I can't really do it individually. It strikes me as being a rather herculean affair, heh.